- I decided that instead of buying a picnic table cover that I would simply re-purpose one of my Turkish beach towels.
- It can be very windy on a vineyard, so these colorful cloth napkins come in very handy.
- I love these great melamine salad plates and they all fit in the picnic basket.
- Pack an all purpose cutting board
- I love to bring music with me too, but make sure that you’re not bothering other people. I love this Beats Pill.
- I also really love my insulated picnic basket.
That’s right, Labor Day is not the end of summer, well officially that is. Many of us are used to thinking of Labor Day as the end of summer, because the weather can change and many summery things close down. When I lived in New York City it certainly started feeling like fall shortly after Labor Day, so I started to think of it as the end of the summer season. That is not the case in Los Angeles where it can often be hotter in September then it is in August, weird right?? Today’s high in Los Angeles is supposed to be 81° degrees and it’s supposed to be 82° New York City. So if it looks like summer, feels like summer and acts like summer then it’s still summer… SO let’s celebrate summer!
Summer has always been my favorite season, this goes back to my school days. I never liked school that much (what kid does?) so I was always excited when I was out of school and always a little bummed when I had to go back. Even if you live in a colder climate than Los Angeles, I have some tips to make sure that you celebrate every last drop of summer and good weather while it lasts.… Read Full Post
- Make sure that all of your food is in separate containers. I really love the the compartmentalized container that I used in the photos, it keeps 5 different items separated but in the same container for easy transportation. It’s BPA free plastic which is lighter that glass and non-toxic.
- We recently bought a picnic table which makes picnicking on uneven services much easier.
I believe that the cocktail party has changed since I started hosting them 10-ish years ago. They went from an event with great food, cocktails and friends to an event that has the only main purpose of being Pinterest/ Instagram ready. I always think that layout, the look and feel are important, but I feel that often times people are so worried about it looking “perfect” that they forgo the quality of the food and the drinks. While I do work on the aesthetics of the party, I will never forgo the experience of the party: the ambience, music, cocktails and food.
I learned how to host proper cocktail party from my sister-in-law. She is the consummate host and has legendary Halloween parties in New York every year, among others. She has a lovely New York City apartment and everything is always set up beautifully, but she pays most of her attention to the ambience, music, food and drinks, complete with impeccably appointed servers and bartenders that tended to your every need. While we don’t have servers at our cocktail parties, we always have a bar with a bartender to help out and add to the experience. I always request that they help me pick up glasses and plates during the party too.… Read Full Post
First, I wanted to give you a bit of background on my mother’s health. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor when she was 16, it was the ‘70s and medical technology was not what it is now, but she went into remission and was cancer free for over 25 years. She got cancer again in the early 2000’s because of the radiation she received in her teens. So, I think I was so lucky to have a healthy mom until I was a young adult. Not only that, but she was able to attend my wedding.… Read Full Post